Monday 19 March 2018

How did I forget??

I was awake at 6.35 this morning, having slept all night through without a break. This is a first in the three weeks since I fell. Waz also slept without break, last night, until I woke him with the creaking of the wooden floor, on my way to the bathroom. We snuggled until I couldn't lie flat any more....I have been sleeping with raised pillows on the big sofa in the living since my fall, and it is less than ideal for both of us, so used to being together are we.
Today had to be early in every way because I was going to Verteillac for a haircut. This is significant for two reasons. Firstly, because I havent had a haircut from an outside hairstylist since I was in NZ in July, and because I usually cut my own hair...only I cant raise my right arm over my head yet.

We were finished with our breakfast of coffee and petit viennoise (small pastries) and had time to spare before heading into town, 20 minutes before the appointment.
We parked...not many other cars in town today, we noted....should have been the cue we needed!!!...and took off up the hill a wee way to the Boulangerie for a Baguette cereal for our lunch....and maybe a dessert?? Ok then, just a small one! Well they were all small, and looked a bit old, but Waz chose a Paris Brest, and I chose and Opera. Those in hand we return to stow them in the car. I was pushed off in the downhill direction of the Coiffeuse, and he to Le Calice, the English owned pub/bistrot jut next to our parked car. No lights on in the Coiffeuse, but I was early. I dont wear a watch at the moment, so couldn't tell whether it was 10am or not.
It wasn't. 10 to 10am, and no lights. Hmmm....Back to the pub and ordered a Grand Crème...Waz's was in the process of being made, so she just added some more milk to the jug.

I was forced to down my coffee and return to the Coiffeuse, only to find no lights on, still. DING DONG!!! IT'S MONDAY!!!! NOTHING is open on Monday!

Crikey! How thick can you get????

I was SURE the hairdresser wrote 10am Monday in his Diary!

Actually, it was a good thing they were closed, because I picked up some valuable intel.
The mother and son run the shop, and apparently all women come out of there looking the same, if the mother has cut the hair! Merde!! That means short back and sides! Truly!!!

Alex, the son, however, does lots of further education apparently, and does a decent job. I was told to repel Madame's offer of a cut if it should be made, and stick to the son! Right then! Advice well taken.

Phew!
Maybe it wasn't such a bad thing, for them to be closed today. I wouldn't have known otherwise, and might have emerged a clone!

So, encore for tomorrow? Perhaps.

We had arranged to pick up the house keys tomorrow at 10, but I have now had to postpone that until just before noon, all going well, being the proviso. If I look like a shorn sheep on the morrow, I will put my head into a bucket and keep it there. I have no idea how to convey my desired hair style in French, so I think I might print a photo of me when I liked the cut, or draw pictures of how I want different areas cut. Being a hairdresser myself means I have small tolerance for poor cutting in others. I was top of my class, I might add! and I was the cutting protégé of Mr Monty Winter, the owner of the Hairdressing College I attended, back in the 1970's. He taught me so many tricks of the trade.

I watch young people cutting hair these days and cringe that they haven't figured out the shape of the head in relation to what they are doing. It greatly bothers me.

So, I will either come away from my experience tomorrow (watch this space!) happy or I will ...like I said...put my head in a bucket for a month!

It will be good therapy for me to cut Waz's hair. I will give myself another week of Domestic Therapy before I attack his hair et al.

We came home  with the goodies in hand, had some issues to deal with online before making a lunch of Cup of soup, some left over pizza for Waz, (last night's dinner) and our desserts, of course:)

The fire has been going since before lunch and the living room is snuggly now. I did try lying down for a nap (Waz is napping as I write) but think I will go downstairs and put the kettle on for a cuppa and do my 'domestic therapy'...like holding the filling kettle in my right hand, while it gets heavier, then lifting it onto the base.
I forgot to tell you....Before leaving for the supposed haircut, I  did my 'car therapy'!  Im determined to be driving again by the end of the week, see. I sit with the motor running, my foot on the clutch, with the hand brake on, and put the car through the gears, paying special attention to reverse, where I have to pull the collar of the stick up and move the stick hard left and up, and then from 3rd or other back into 2nd gear. That's the hard one, moving it hard left and down. THAT action doesn't want to happen easily, but I did it without left hand help! I also managed to shut the heavy back door (from inside) with my right arm, this morning. Small but significant progress...Yayayay!

 Ciao for now...cuppa and therapy session!


No comments:

Post a Comment