Saturday 12 May 2018

We Come By it Honestly.

Our genetic makeup that is.

I found my box of personal papers, while on this packing journey.

It contains all my old school reports from the year dot. It contains my Ballet and Latin American Dance exam records, from the ages of 10 through 12. It contains records of my cooking career, the letters of reference from my employers, many and various, and some of the gazillion courses I attended and attained certificates and Diplomas in.
I have to admit to being a bit tentative in the opening of it.

I hated school, was not always successful there either academically or, as it turns out from the comments on report cards, on the sports field. Comments suggest I could have had more enthusiasm for the activities, lol. I did well during the school year and in class, but failed miserably in exams. School certainly is no predictor of adult success!

I was successful as a member of various theatrical performances and as a member of the school orchestra. I wasn't a Yehudi Menuhin on the Violin, but I tried hard and led the 2nd violins in my final year of High School.
I was also a successful Ward's Maid at the local Geriatric Hospital, on weekends, while in my final year of school. I loved it there, and it paid exceptionally well. I remember being paid $45 per weekend. In the early 70's that was a lot of money!

My sister and I often rode a 50 cc Motor scooter to High School. This was not a common mode of transport for young ladies in those days and when we moved from small town NZ to city NZ, we were considered a bit 'country', but somewhat envied I think, for the amount of independence we enjoyed as a result of having lived in a small rural town.
Motorbikes later featured as my only mode of transport in the form of a 250 XL Honda on-road/off-road bike. I obtained my motorbike license at the age of 15, four years before getting my car license.

Graduating High School after four years, at the age of 16, and not knowing what I wanted to do with my life, I entered the workforce as a Pharmacy Assistant, graduating eventually from counter work to assisting the pharmacist fulfilling prescriptions. I learned how to count drugs and read illegible Doctor's notes and signatures. That's about all I remember of that job...oh, and that all the condoms were kept out of sight under the counter, making anyone who wanted them to have to come to the counter and ask the young women working there, for the condoms. How incredibly embarrassing!
I earned $15 dollars a week, and learned that if I wants to purchase any clothing, I had to put the item on Lay-Away, paying it off each week, out of my meagre pay packet. Good thing we grew up sewing our own clothes.

My second job was as a Media Assistant at an Advertising Agency in the big city. I was also the mail clerk and worked the Tea Trolley on the Tea Lady's day off. I liked that job as there were always left over chocolate biscuits available at the end!
From this job I applied for and was accepted into the NZ Army as one of the first 9 women to train as Chefs. It sure was a man's world...I learned how to swear like a trooper in the Army, much to the chagrin of my parents, but the delight of my much younger brother:) I have to admit to not losing that ability much:)

I wont bore you with my whole job history, but my love of travel and food has taken me around the world and enabled me to have experiences open to only a fortunate few. I think the only drawback to a lifetime of travel is that there is always somewhere else to go, so 'settling down' becomes increasingly challenging.
That's a warning, by the way!

While we may be setting up home in the Sunny Charente, we are happy to use France as a base for further travel throughout Europe when the feet begin to itch again.

So, here I was wondering if I should throw away all these report cards, certificates etc, and wondering whether anyone in my family will ever look at any of them and is it stupid of me to take them with me? I think I will. I can make a judgement call on that at a later date. I might just write a memoir in the meantime, and they will prove valuable for that. My kids might even marvel at their mother when I'm no longer here, and wish they had known me better?? One can hope.

Yes, all this change does rather bring about some navel gazing, doesnt it. As we stare down the final move of our lives...as we think of it...we dont intend to bring anything back or take it to our next move, whatever that might be. This move is somewhat finite. They might cart us out of France in a cardboard box, or we might decide, somewhere down the years, that we want to be somewhere else. Either way, this is the last time we pay to take our 'stuff' anywhere. You read this here!!

Time with family, kids and elders in recent days has been delightful, and always good to catch up as our kids and their cousins grow both in physical terms and emotionally. My almost 15 yr old nephew is now 6ft 1", where he was at least 4 inches shorter than that 6 months ago when I was here last. He is a delightful young man and I look forward to watching his progress in the next couple of years as he decides on a career course. His younger brother already has large hands, so I am guessing that he too will be a tall young man. Height does run in our side of the family, yet their mother is barely more than 5ft tall! lol.

So, I am going to leave you now, take my dear husband to bed, and hopefully enjoy a good night's sleep.

Happy Mother's Day to all you wonderful Moms, and I hope you enjoy the generosity of your families tomorrow and every day.

Night, night.







No comments:

Post a Comment